Early Career Researcher Forum
Our Early Career Researcher (ECR) Forum took place on Tuesday 18 January as part of our fourth Annual Assembly and welcomed 60 ECRs to hear about projects funded through our ECR Research Awards. We also welcomed David Bould, Lead R&D Specialist from Ørsted, who presented on generating new collaborations between industry and academia.
22 members of our ECR network also shared posters and abstracts about their research through our online poster hall, allowing visitors to ask questions and make comments. You can view the book of abstracts and posters here.
Resources from the Fourth Annual Assembly can be viewed here.
Session 1: Introductions and Early Career Researcher talks
- Welcome session: Professor Byron Byrne - Ørsted / Royal Academy of Engineering Research Chair in Advanced Geotechnical Design (University of Oxford) and Professor Richard Willden - Professor of Engineering Science and EPSRC Fellow (University of Oxford) View a PDF of the presentation
- Analytical and experimental modelling of a floating/submerged elastic disk: Dr Simone Michele and Dr Siming Zheng (University of Plymouth) - View a PDF of the presentation
- Investigating the installation of innovative suction caisson anchors to support offshore renewable energy structures, a feasibility study: Dr Moura Mehravar (Aston University) View a PDF of the presentation
- Dynamic Subsea Power Cables in Offshore Renewable Energy - the Impact of Marine Growth: Dr Andrew Want (Heriot-Watt University) - View a PDF of the presentation
- A Novel, Robust, Near-shore, Wave Energy Converter for Remote Communities: Dr Rachel Nicholls-Lee (University of Exeter) View a PDF of the presentation
- Measuring Wave Modulation by a Large Offshore Wind Farm: Dr David Christie (Bangor University) View a PDF of the presentation
- Hygro-thermal effects on the translaminar fracture toughness of composite laminates: Dr Ganapathi Ammasaisengodan (University of Bristol) View a PDF of the presentation
- Reference flow speeds in tidal turbine experiments: Dr James McNaughton (University of Oxford) View a PDF of the presentation
Session 2: Industry-Academic Collaborations: Generating new collaborations between Industry and Academia
- Guest speaker: David Bould - Lead R&D Specialist (Ørsted) and Supergen ORE Hub Industrial Advisory Board Member
Session 3: Early Career Researcher Talks
- Damage tolerant hybrid composites for safer and higher performance composite offshore wind turbine blades: Dr Stephanie Ordonez and Dr Sheik Malik (University of Strathclyde) View a PDF of the presentation
- Optimisation of Compact Wide-Bandgap-Enabled Power Electronics Converters for Offshore Wind Farms: Dr Saeed Jahdi and Dr Ian Laird (University of Bristol) View a PDF of the presentation
- Innovative and cross-disciplinary wave energy research, aiming to develop a revolutionary Smart Control Algorithm (SCA): Dr Saishuai Dai (University of Strathclyde) View a PDF of the presentation
- Upgrade of Power_electronic Grid Emulator to Multi-Channe System and High Current Continuous Power Semiconductor Testor for Next Generation Offshore Wind, Tidal & Wave Converters: Dr Paul Judge (University of Edinburgh) View a PDF of the presentation
- Multi-use platforms at sea (MUPS): an innovative way to manage offshore space and reduce coastal anthropic pressure: Dr Jonathan Demmer (Bangor University) View a PDF of the presentation
- An LES-AL Study of the DTU 10MW RWT: Dr Xiaosheng Chen (University of Oxford) View a PDF of the presentation
- Hot Wire Velocimetry for Tidal Turbine Towing Tank Experiments: Dr Sam Tucker Harvey (University of Oxford) View a PDF of the presentation
The Supergen ORE Hub ECR Community
A core component of the Supergen ORE Hub is to establish and support a network of Early Career Researchers (ECRs) across the Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) Academic sector. This network aims to connect ECRs with more senior researchers, in the UK and internationally, to create a diverse and supportive community that nurtures the next generation of ORE research leaders.