The 14th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference
The Supergen Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) Hub was proud to be a bronze sponsor of the European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference, which took place as a hybrid event both online, and in person at the University of Plymouth from 5th - 9th September 2021.
The Supergen ORE Hub held two side events and exhibited at the conference, engaging with wave and tidal researchers and industry professionals. You can find recordings of the side events and presentations below.
EPSRC Marine Wave Energy Programme
- Monday 6th September 2021, 17:00 - 18:30 BST
This EWTEC 2021 side event gave delegates the chance to hear updates from the eight research projects funded through the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Marine Wave Programme in 2020.
Please find links to the PDF presentations below (where available), along with a recording of the event.
- Introduction to the Marine Wave Programme and EPSRC Strategy - Zaffie Cox, EPSRC
- Flexible Responsive Systems in Wave Energy: FlexWave - Deborah Greaves, Professor of Ocean Engineering (University of Plymouth)
- New Generation Modelling Suite for the Survivability of Wave Energy Convertors in Marine Environments (WavE-Suite) - Qingwei Ma, Professor of Hydrodynamics (City, University of London)
- Holistic Advanced Prototyping and Interfacing for Wave Energy Control - Thomas Davey, Senior Experimental Officer – FloWave (University of Edinburgh). Project led by: Bill Leithead (University of Strathclyde)
- Mooring analysis and design for offshore WEC survivability and fatigue (MoorWEC) - Peter Stansby, Professor of Hydrodynamics (The University of Manchester)
- MUE-DRIVE: Marinisation and Upscaling of an All Electric Drivetrain for Wave Energy - Nick Baker, Senior Lecturer (Newcastle University)
- Novel High Performance Wave Energy Converters with advanced control, reliability and survivability systems through machine-learning forecasting - George Aggidis, Head of Energy Engineering (Lancaster University)
- Bionic Adaptive Stretchable Materials for WEC (BASM-WEC) - Qing Xiao, Reader in Marine Hydrodynamics (University of Strathclyde)
- System-level Co-design and Control of Large Capacity Wave Energy Converters with Multiple PTOs - Guang Li, Reader in Control Engineering (Queen Mary University of London)
Supergen ORE Hub Wave and Tidal Showcase
- Wednesday 8th September 2021, 17:00 - 18:30 BST
This EWTEC 2021 side event gave delegates the chance to find out more about the Supergen ORE Hub and its latest research into wave and tidal energy, and included the launch of the Unsteady Loading Tidal Turbine Benchmarking Study.
- Wave and tidal energy research in the Supergen ORE Hub – Professor Deborah Greaves OBE (University of Plymouth) and Professor Richard Willden
(University of Oxford)
A presentation and discussion session on the latest research in wave and tidal energy from the Supergen ORE Hub including Flexible Funded projects, Early Career Researcher projects, an introduction and update on the Research Landscape, and the Supergen ORE Hub Wave Energy Roadmap.
- Launch of the Unsteady Loading Tidal Turbine Benchmarking Study – Professor Richard Willden (University of Oxford)
A presentation and discussion session on community engagement activity that is conducting a series of high fidelity experiments on a highly instrumented 1.6m diameter tidal turbine in waves and turbulent flows. You can also see a PDF summary of the project here.