The annual Aura Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) conference brings together exciting keynote speakers from the offshore wind industry and provides a platform for PhD researchers to showcase their research.
The event will run over two research-packed days. Participants are welcome to attend one or both sessions.
Monday 20 September - Day 1:
Aura are delighted to welcome Emma Toulson, Lead Stakeholder Advisor from Ørsted who will open the conference
A lively interactive session dedicated to exploring, discussing, and learning about different facets of offshore wind energy. Discussion topics include:
- Women in offshore wind
- The ideal location for an offshore wind turbine
- Busting the myths around offshore wind
A diverse set of talks from Aura Cohort 2 students, who are all just starting out on their PhD journeys with the Aura CDT. They will explain their research plans, linking to their vision for the future of the offshore wind sector. Aura's PhD students' research covers the broad range of technological and environmental challenges facing the offshore wind industry, as summarised in the Aura CDT's six research themes:
- Physics and Engineering of the Offshore Environment
- Environmental Impact, Marine Biology and Aquaculture
- Next Generation Materials and Manufacturing
- Operations, Maintenance and Human Factors
- Offshore Wind Energy Integration - Challenges and Impacts
- Big Data, Sensors and Digitalisation for the Offshore Environment
Tuesday 21 September - Day 2:
Including presentations from a variety of industry speakers, including:
- Jo Burgess, Head of Innovation Talent & Skills, InnovateUK
- Jim Fleming, Head of Energy, EPSRC
- Andrew Elmes, Head of Business Development, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy
- Prof Deborah Greaves, Head of the Supergen Offshore Renewable Energy Hub, University of Plymouth
- Danielle Lane, UK Country Manager, Vattenfall & Chair OWIC
Aura CDT Cohort 1 researchers will also present current findings from their first year of PhD research and will be joined by Postdoctoral Researchers, whose research fits within the Aura CDT themes.