The Supergen Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) Hub have launched a competition for UK University students studying game/app development and game and app developers to take part in developing a new mobile game with a focus on engaging and inspiring young people into offshore renewable energy.
Competition entrants will have the chance to submit their proposals for feedback (by Friday 18 June 2021) and attend a range of monthly drop-in sessions organised by the Supergen ORE Hub to find out more about the Hub and the project.
Submissions will be judged by a panel, selecting a first, second and third place. The first-place team will have their game released (by the University of Plymouth and Supergen ORE Hub) and will win £4,000 towards computing equipment. Second and third-place teams will be awarded £500 towards computing equipment. The judging panel will consist of representatives from the Supergen Offshore Renewable Energy Hub Management Team, staff from the University of Plymouth Computing Science team and representatives from the gaming industry.
This competition builds on the engagement work of the Hub through collaborations in outreach activities that inform the public and school children on the state and progress of ORE.
The mobile app game aims to inspire young people and teenagers into STEM subjects and careers in engineering. The game will focus on the engineering aspects of offshore wind, wave and tidal energy, whilst also considering the environmental and societal aspects of these technologies.
More information and guidance notes
- More information about the competition is available in the guidance notes
- The feedback request form can be accessed here (closes 17:00 GMT, Friday 18 June 2021)
- The full submission form can be accessed here (closes 17:00 GMT, Monday 30 August 2021)
- If you need to contact the Supergen ORE Hub about your submission/with queries, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Supergen ORE Hub Mobile Game Competition – Queries”
Monthly drop-in sessions
- Wednesday 24 March 2021, 10:00 – 11:00
- Friday 30 April 2021, 13:00 – 14:00
- Wednesday 26 May 2021, 15:00 – 16:00
- Thursday 24 June 2021, 12:00 – 13:00
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for these drop-in sessions