The Supergen Offshore Renewable Energy Hub is inviting applications for the Early Career Researcher (ECR) Research Fund. The fund is designed to be a flexible research fund for ECRs to support small activities that either supports and develops your existing research activities, or develops your skills further.
Research activities should be aligned with the objectives of the Supergen ORE Hub, further details of which can be found on our About Us page. Applications should be directed at offshore wind, wave or tidal energy research. Multi-disciplinary or multi-sectoral proposals are welcomed.
Total eligible project costs of £5,000 are permitted (per ECR in the case of a joint ECR application). Only direct costs will be permitted, i.e. no indirect costs or estates charges can be made. In-line with EPSRC funding policy costs are paid at 80% FEC. This means that although you will be able to spend £5,000 on your project, only 80% of the cost will be able to be recovered from the Supergen ORE Hub, the remaining 20% will be required to be funded by your department/University.
In this third round, we are seeking to make up to 10 awards.
Download the call document
Includes full details of the call, assessment criteria and how to apply
There will be multiple calls to the ECR Research Fund throughout the lifetime of the Supergen ORE Hub. It is anticipated that there will be further calls in autumn 2021, but this will be guided by demand and available funds.
The deadline for submission of applications to the current call of the ECR Research Fund is noon on Friday 26th March 2021.
All applications will be peer reviewed with the process coordinated by the scheme coordinator, Prof. Richard Willden (University of Oxford), with support from Supergen ORE Hub ECR activity co-lead Prof. Byron Byrne (University of Oxford). The scheme coordinator will coordinate the peer review and ranking process leading to funding decisions. Funding decisions will be made within 3 weeks of the proposal deadline with award announcements made on or before Friday 16th April 2021.
For successful applicants the proposed activity must start within 3 months of the award announcements and be completed within 9 months of commencement.
Eligibility for this fund is limited to Early Career Researchers who are either:
- Early Career Academic Staff (less than 3 years from first academic appointment),
- Post-Doctoral Research Assistants.
Whilst the wider Hub ECR network includes and welcomes final year PhD students, support for PhD student research activities should be delivered by host institutions or Centres of Doctoral Training (CDTs) as applicable, and hence PhD students are not eligible to apply to this ECR Research Fund.
- ECRs should be employed by an organisation that is eligible to receive EPSRC funding. A list of organisations eligible to apply to EPSRC is provided at: https://www.ukri.org/funding/how-to-apply/eligibility/
- The proposed activity must not extend beyond the ECRs current employment (unless the requested funding does itself extend that employment).
- There will be multiple rounds of ECR Research Funding and only in exceptional circumstances will ECR applicants receive more than one award.
- Joint applications from a maximum of two ECRs are welcomed where the inclusion of more than one ECR is justified with respect to the scheme objectives and the assessment criteria outlined below. The award limit will be raised in accordance with the number of ECRs making the joint application. A joint application should not include a non-ECR as an applicant.