The Supergen ORE Hub Sixth Early Career Research fund is now open.
Deadline: 12 noon (BST), Monday 4 September 2023.
ECR Research Fund
The fund is designed to be a flexible research fund for ECRs to support small activities that either supports and develops your existing research activities, or develops your skills further.
Research activities should be aligned with the objectives of the Supergen ORE Hub, further details of which can be found on our About Us page. Applications should be directed at offshore wind, wave or tidal energy research. Multi-disciplinary or multi-sectoral proposals are welcomed.
Maximum project costs: £5,000 FEC (direct costs only), of which 80% will be eligible for funding by the Supergen ORE Hub.
Examples of what the funding might support
This is a non-exhaustive list and innovative applications are welcomed.
- A discrete research activity, possibly seed funding leading to a new more substantial proposal, including a research Fellowship application
- Travel for a national or international collaboration
- Small equipment/consumables
- An industrial internship or public service secondment
- Awards to support a return from a career break
- Public awareness engagement activities and support for developing outreach events are particularly welcome.
Download the call document
Includes full details of the call, assessment criteria and how to apply
Submission deadline: 12 noon (BST), Monday 4 September 2023
All applications will be peer reviewed with the process coordinated by the scheme coordinator, Prof. Richard Willden (University of Oxford), with support from Supergen ORE Hub ECR activity co-lead Prof. Byron Byrne (University of Oxford). The scheme coordinator will coordinate the peer review and ranking process leading to funding decisions.
Award announcements: Funding decisions will be made within 3 weeks of the proposal deadline with award announcements made on or before Wednesday 25th September 2023.
Activity start/completion date: For successful applicants, the proposed activity must start within 3 months of the proposal deadline (27th November 2023) and be completed within 9 months of commencement.
Eligibility for this fund is limited to Early Career Researchers who are either:
- Early Career Academic Staff (less than 3 years from first academic appointment),
- Post-Doctoral Research Assistants.
Whilst the wider Hub ECR network includes and welcomes final year PhD students, support for PhD student research activities should be delivered by host institutions or Centres of Doctoral Training (CDTs) as applicable, and hence PhD students are not eligible to apply to this ECR Research Fund.
- ECRs should be employed by an organisation that is eligible to receive EPSRC funding. A list of organisations eligible to apply to EPSRC is provided at: https://www.ukri.org/funding/how-to-apply/eligibility/
- The proposed activity must not extend beyond the ECRs current employment (unless the requested funding does itself extend that employment).
- Due to the multiple rounds of ECR Research Funding, only in exceptional circumstances will ECR applicants receive more than one award.
- Joint applications from a maximum of two ECRs are welcomed where the inclusion of more than one ECR is justified with respect to the scheme objectives and the assessment criteria outlined below. The award limit will be raised in accordance with the number of ECRs making the joint application. A joint application should not include a non-ECR as an applicant.